Q107 Listening AreaLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Warner Bros. will screen ‘The Dark Knight’ in IMAX for 10th anniversary engagement

Warner Bros.(LOS ANGELES) — Warner Bothers is marking the 10th anniversary of Christopher Nolan’s groundbreaking film, The Dark Knight, by bringing it to four select IMAX locations for an exclusive, one-week engagement, beginning August 24, it was announced Wednesday.

The movie, led by the late Heath Ledger’s Oscar-winning turn as the Joker, opened in the U.S. on July 18, 2008 and made $158.4 million in its debut weekend, on its way to earning $534.8 million stateside and $1 billion globally. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Morgan Freeman also starred.

Tickets for the IMAX re-release opening day go on sale this Friday.

Theater locations can be found on IMAX’s website.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers ask judge to dismiss Ashley Judd Lawsuit

ABC/Rick Rowell(LOS ANGELES) — Harvey Weinstein’s attorneys are urging a federal judge to dismiss Ashley Judd’s civil suit that alleges Weinstein ruined her career by blackballing her in Hollywood.

Judd sued Weinstein in April, claiming the disgraced Hollywood mogul sabotaged her chances of landing a role in the blockbuster The Lord of the Rings film trilogy in 1998, after she rejected his sexual demands a year earlier during an encounter in a Beverly Hills hotel room. 

The suit was filed after Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson admitted in a December 2017 interview that he had been considering both Judd and actress Mira Sorvino — who also says Weinstein sexually harassed her — for roles in LOTR but decided not to cast them after Miramax, the studio that was owned by Harvey Weinstein and his brother, Bob, told them the actresses were a “nightmare” to work with.

Jackson said he later realized the Weinsteins’ comments were likely part of a smear campaign against the actresses.

Weinstein’s lawyers argued in a filing in federal district court in Los Angeles that Judd waited too long to bring her civil suit, stating she “certainly knew of the alleged sexual harassment and her injuries, if any, at the time of the hotel encounter” and “further knew she was not cast in LOTR by the time filming began.” The first film was released in December 2001 but the legal memo states that Judd “claims she did not know until late 2017 that Weinstein was purportedly behind the casting decision.”

In a statement obtained by Deadline, Judd’s attorney, Ted Boutrous, responded to the motion, calling it “baseless” and “flawed,” adding they look forward to “moving forward with discovery into his outrageous behavior, and proving to a jury that Mr. Weinstein maliciously damaged Ms. Judd’s career because she resisted his sexual advances.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Sam Rockwell-Taraji P. Henson drama ‘The Best of Enemies’ picked up by STXfilms

ABC/Rick Rowell(LOS ANGELES) — The Best of Enemies, a based-on-real-life drama starring Sam Rockwell and Taraji P. Henson, has been picked up for distribution.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, STXfilms has secured the domestic rights to Oscar nominee Henson’s and Oscar winner Rockwell’s upcoming film, which follows the unlikely friendship that developed between Ann Atwater, an outspoken black activist played by Hidden Figures star Henson, and Claiborne Paul Ellis, a ranking member of the Ku Klux Klan, played by Rockwell, who won a Best Actor Academy Award for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last year.

Set in Durham, North Carolina during the 1960s, the film is inspired by Osha Gray Davidson‘s book The Best of Enemies: Race and Redemption in the New South. It centers on Atwater and Ellis reluctantly co-chairing a community summit, and battling over the desegregation of schools in Durham, North Carolina, during the summer of 1971.

In addition to Henson and Rockwell, the film also stars Babou Ceesay, Anne Heche, Wes Bentley, Bruce McGill, John Gallagher Jr., and Nick Searcy.

No word yet on when The Best of Enemies will hit theaters.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Leslie Jones blasts Jessica Alba’s Honest company for “bad business”

Kailey Fellows/NBC(NEW YORK) — Jessica Alba just lost a “Honest” customer in Saturday Night Live star and comedian Leslie Jones.

Jones, who was nominated for an Emmy just last week for her work on SNL, tweeted at Alba and her all-natural company, stating her recent experience with Alba’s brand has been “a nightmare.”

“Ok @Honest you just lost a good customer,” Jones wrote. “@jessicaalba please address your company that is not doing good business. I have [used] your company for more than three years now and these last three orders have been a nightmare!! I have [spent] too much money here for that to happen!!”

Alba serves as a co-founder for The Honest Company, which sells eco-friendly, nontoxic household and baby products. The company, which was founded in 2011, has undergone public scrutiny in the past and was sued in 2016 for allegedly being deceptive about its eco-friendly and natural products.

Soon after Jones’ tweet, the company responded to her on Twitter, apologizing and explaining the delay to Jones. However, Jones wasn’t quite satisfied in their explanation, saying the timeframe of shipment of her product should have been “made clear,” noting that the “last three orders were late.”

“It wasn’t like that before,” Jones added.

After the exchange went viral, Alba responded to Jones.

“Omg! I’m so so sorry you haven’t had a great experience,” the actress wrote. “We are all over this issue and will make it right. I am so appreciative and grateful to you for being a loyal Honest fan over the years, especially as we go through these growing pains. I’m a huge fan of yours. JA”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Why so serious? ‘The Dark Knight’ turns 10 today

Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) — Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight was released 10 years ago today.

Although it’s the second in director/co-writer Nolan’s Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight is not only widely considered his best chapter, but one of the best superhero movies ever made.

Much of that well-earned praise hangs on two things. One: Nolan crafted his film less like a “comic book movie” and more like a gritty crime drama that happens to be set in Gotham City.  And two: The performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Ledger died six months before the movie’s release at age of 28 of an accidental prescription drug overdose.  However, his haunting portrayal of Joker as a psychotic criminal genius who turns Gotham upside down was powerful enough to win him a posthumous best supporting actor Academy Award.

The Dark Knight also featured strong supporting performances from Gary Oldman as Commissioner Jim Gordon, and Aaron Eckhart, who plays both dashing D.A. Harvey Dent and his villainous alter-ego, Two-Face.

The Dark Knight scored the highest-grossing opening weekend of any movie in history to date at that time, raking in nearly 158 million dollars — besting the previous record-holder, 2007’s Spider-Man 3.  It ultimately earned $533.3 million domestically and just over a billion dollars worldwide.

 

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

50 Cent discusses backlash he faced over Terry Crews comments

ABC/Paula Lobo(NEW YORK) — Actor-rapper 50 Cent addressed the backlash he’s received for making light of fellow actor Terry Crews’ claim that he was groped by a Hollywood executive, telling The View that he would, “never make fun of any sexual assault victim.”

“I wasn’t looking at Terry Crews that way, at that point. I’m looking at the Hulk. The guy is this big, that’s being taken advantage of,” 50 Cent explained.

In June, 50 Cent posted two images on Instagram of Crews on Instagram after Crews appeared in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee to speak about his experience and voice support for the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Bill of Rights.

The two images now deleted images were accompanied by a caption that read: “LOL, what the —- is going on out here man? Terry: I froze in fear. … They would have had to take me to jail.”

Crews, a former NFL linebacker and Brooklyn Nine-Nine star, has said the assault happened during a 2016 party that he attended with his wife.

“If you asked [a man] if someone touched them. … They go, ‘Yo, what you doing?’ Nothing more but ‘What you doing?'” 50 Cent said. “In the Senate, when they [were] talking about it, he didn’t even respond [to the alleged perpetrator] by doing that.”

“Because he was in shock!” Whoopi Goldberg said in response.

“I wouldn’t be prepared for that either,” 50 Cent said.

“No, nobody is!” Goldberg said.

“Y’all would be bailing me out! I’d have to get bailed out,” 50 Cent said.

50 also touched on his hit Starz series Power and the fandom that has come from the Sunday night crime drama.

“It’s exciting to see so many people invested in it,” he said about the show. “It’s cool!”

Power airs Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. ET.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Busta Rhymes says he’s a “super fan” of ‘Game of Thrones’ star Peter Dinklage, applauds his talent as undercover emcee

PepsiCo(NEW YORK) — Busta Rhymes’ catchy freestyle on Chris Brown’s 2011 hit song, “Look At Me Now,” is arguably one of the rapper’s most memorable efforts.

So when Doritos decided to team up with the legendary rapper, it was a seemingly easy decision to use his rap freestyle from that track in their 2018 Super Bowl commercial, which showed Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage lip-syncing over Busta’s verse.

Rhymes says working on the commercial with Dinklage was absolutely “incredible.”

“It just was an incredible moment to be able to share with a dude that I’m a super fan of too,” Rhymes tells ABC Radio. “The Game of Thrones and all of that — and just a bunch of other things that Peter Dinklage has done. I’m a super fan.”

Interestingly, when it came time to lip-sync the freestyle, Dinklage had an distinct advantage.

“I didn’t really have to tell him too much. I mean he knew…exactly what he was doing,” Busta reveals. “From what I understand, he used to rhyme, so he knew what he was doing…And he was in a rap group, he had his own thing popping with his emcee days– back when he was spitting bars himself.”

According to the AV Club, Dinklage was the lead singer of Whizzy, “a rap/rock/punk/funk band in the mid-’90s.

Busta continues, “He definitely…had that under control flawlessly, so to speak. So, I don’t want to take too much credit for that.”

Rhymes also praised another actor, giving props to Missy Elliott’s freestyle-inspired Superbowl commercial, where Morgan Freeman lip-synced over her song, “Get Your Freak On.”

“She’s like the female Bus Rhymes I’m proud to say,” he adds. “And I think Morgan Freeman did an amazing job — the whole concept was dope.”


Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ hitting home in September

Lucasfilm(LOS ANGELES) — Lucasfilm has announced that Solo: A Star Wars Story, will be released on HD digital download on September 14, and on Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand on Sept. 25.

Directed by Oscar winner Ron Howard, the second “stand-alone” Star Wars story stars Alden Erenreich as Solo, Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, as well as Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, Paul Bettany, and Woody Harrelson.

The adventure tracks the smuggler’s early days as an impoverished hustler on the streets of his home planet, to his stint in the Imperial army, and his falling in with a crew of crooks pulling a major heist for a dangerous galactic gangster, played by Marvel movie series star Bettany.

Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Danica Patrick will make history tonight as the first woman to host the ESPYs

ABC/Randy Holmes(LOS ANGELES) — Sports and entertainment collide Wednesday night at the ESPYs, hosted by racing star Danica Patrick.

Danica will also be making history as the first woman ever to host the show — a change she tells ABC News is long overdue.

“The fact that the show has been around for about 25 years and there hasn’t been a female host is definitely surprising, because there are plenty of funny women,” she says.

Of course, Patrick hasn’t forgotten that the ESPYs are all about sports, and there hasn’t been any shortage of memorable moments over the past year.

“You know, Nick Fowles winning a Super Bowl as a backup quarterback…World Cup and Wimbledon… I mean, Serena [Williams] didn’t win Wimbledon, but my goodness, she just had a baby and she went to the finals…Tiger Woods started playing golf again, so lots of cool stuff happening in sports and we’re going to talk about as many of them as we can,” says Patrick.

The 36-year-old former NASCAR star also hopes she’ll make us laugh and cry: “There are the triumphant moments that are amazing, and then there are the sad losses. I mean, World Cup just ended and I watched so many grown men cry for a very long period of time.” 

The 2018 ESPY Awards will are live from The Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Will Jennifer Garner ever make her #PretendCookingShow a real one?

ABC/Craig Sjodin(NEW YORK) — With her #PretendCookingShow videos on Instagram, Jennifer Garner shows off her favorite recipes in a casual and relatable style. But don’t expect her to become the next Martha Stewart any time soon.

“I do not have plans in any way shape or form to do a real cooking show,” she tells ABC Radio. “I’m really happy doing a three minute pretend cooking show and that seems just about right. I’m in my pajamas, I rarely have any makeup on, it’s just my own kitchen and that’s the way to do it!”

She says her kids – 12-year-old Violet, 9-year-old Seraphina and 6-year-old Samuel – appreciate her home-cooking, but sometimes take it for granted, too.

“[We] just spent a week out of town and they said to me, ‘Mom, next week will you cook every night? We just want your food. We just wanna be home and have your food,’” she says. “And that made me really happy.”

She may not have a real cooking show in the works, but she is cooking up some other food-related projects. She’s the co-founder of the organic baby food line, Once Upon a Farm. Garner also recently bought the Oklahoma farm where her mom grew up and is restoring it with the help of her uncle.

“He’s plowed it and there are blueberries and persimmons and beets, I think, going in and it’s all gonna be just sourced for Once Upon a Farm,” she says. 

You can find Once Upon a Farm baby food in the refrigerated aisle at your local grocery store and at big retailers including Walmart and Target.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.